ANZAC theatre production – interview with Australian puppeteer Sue Wallace

While I think it's great that there are so many wonderful international experiences in my home city, I also can't deny the importance of honouring and commemorating Australian cultural identity.  A big part of that is the ANZAC legacy.  As someone who, although not having any direct relatives who fought in WWI for Australia or New Zealand, I know many people who, every year on the 25th April, honour their families for their ANZAC contribution. I have been keen to check out an ANZAC-related ...

Experience all things French in Sydney in July

I will never forget my brief visit to Paris.  I knew it was beautiful - I had heard about the city's grandeur, the people's style and finesse, the food, the art. I knew what to expect.  I told myself Paris was that iconic that there would be no way I would be surprised when I finally got there. Totally wrong.  Everything from the streets, the atmosphere, the buildings and yes, of course, the people, blew me away.  There was something so completely foreign and beautiful about France and it has ...

Honouring the ANZACs with Riverside Theatre’s production of Shellshock

As many would know, 2015 marks the 100th anniversary of the ANZAC troops landing on Gallipoli, Turkey, during WWI. The Gallipoli campaign has always been an important one in Australian history, with many saying that it defined the nation.  The tragedy of it was that the troops who landed on ANZAC Cove (as it's now known) stood very little chance of advancing on the opposing Turkish troops.  It was a bloodbath, and 25th April (the first day of the 8 month campaign) will be remembered as a day ...

Ethica Accessories’ Winter Wine Fest to help women in rural Peru

Ethica Accessories are a not-for-profit organisation endorsed by Fair traders of Australia (FToA), helping marginalised women in Peru the chance to earn a fair income by making products to sell in Australia and paying a fair wage for those products. The fair trade products they sell include: Alpaca products (jumpers, scarves, mittens etc. - perfect for winter!) Ponchos Bags and purses Babies and Children's clothing Homewares Head to their website to get a better look at all the ...