Jamestown! Where recycled rhythm and dance collide :)

Lucky Lartey (Mother Tongue 2014, On the Cusp 2014, Dance Africa Dance 2013, Short + Sweet Dance 2013), a dancer from Accra, Ghana, teams up with Yacou Mbaye, Ben Kidson and Nancy Denis to bring this year’s Sydney Fringe a piece of his hometown in Jamestown! a 50 minute explosion of energy, music and dance. The Jamestown Collective's last night of performance is 20th September at New Theatre (542 King St, Newtown) at 3pm, and will change everyday objects and turn them into elements of ...

The one where I met up with local explorers as they plan the day for the Haldon Street Festival

If I'm being completely honest, my ideal day would be spent a'wanderin'.  Don't know where, don't know how, just walking around, driving around, shootin' the breeze, shootin' the ... Apologies.  I'm in the middle of a book that was written in Alabama in the 60s and I have caught myself taking on the characters' lingo. But back to my a'wanderin', because that I would do in the here and now.  It's why I love travelling, be it part of international travel or local travel, courtesy of my car ...

Japanese Cherry Blossom Festival 2015 … in Auburn

Growing up in Western Sydney, Auburn to me meant "that place kind of near Parramatta".  It was where I played netball on Saturdays (when I was 10, we came runner-up against the defending champs and our trophies were bigger than their medals, so I was pretty happy with our "not quite but almost status").  It was where we had our primary school swimming carnivals, alternating with Granville Pools (but at the time, Auburn was better coz it had an indoor pool).  It was where my Mum went for her ...

My French Adventure … in Sydney

Totally the latest of late posts ever ... it's been a bit busy the last few weeks, so much so that for literally one weekend (ok, more than one weekend), I curled up into a ball, shut my eyes and slept my life away. It was both amazing and frightening. What constitutes a panic attack? But I digress. Since starting this online space I've noticed that I've been more attuned to various cultural activities in Sydney. Yes, there's no greater feeling than getting on a plane and flying far far ...

Why food tours are an awesome example of getting outside the world you live in

Many many many moons ago, when the idea of My Local World was brewing in my head and I had no idea where it would go or what I would do, I looked for ways to spend my free time discovering Sydney like I was travelling the world.  What I love about international travel - aside from getting on the plane and going as far far away from your day to day life as possible - was that it was a chance to explore another culture, tap into another person's heritage, live another existence, even if if you ...