Australia’s ONLY Afro Latino Festival is back for 2016

I did a How Diverse is My Suburb thingy that SBS has online and plugged in the two suburbs I grew up in (both in Western Sydney) and the suburb I currently live in now, and discovered that, even though I joke with my husband all the time that where we currently live in isn't diverse ("babe, they recognise us in this cafe coz we're the only brown people in here"), I found that all three suburbs are pretty diverse anyway. Sydney is diverse, there is no gettin' around it, no denying, no hiding ...

Charango Master Jaime Torres Tours Australia

OK before I get into anything, I just want to say blogging is hard, OK. It's just hard.  When your fulltime and your freelance jobs are both demanding, when you seem to come down with something every other week (recently I felt like Patient Zero.  You know the one) and when it's just hard to keep up, the blogging kind of ... it's hard. Then the Paris attacks happened.  A lot of the accompanying media commentary noted that our sympathy was much more visible for the Parisians rather than the ...

A very Latin affair: more acts you need to catch at the 2015 Darling Harbour Fiesta

With the sun out (ish) and the spring weather upon us, it comes as no great surprise that the organisers of the Darling Harbour Fiesta hold it during that time of the year between ¡ay dios mio, hace frío! and ¡Que calor! (I'm looking at you, Christmastime).  The Fiesta is full of music, dancing, food and a whole lot of latin culture thrown in.  There are some amazing acts to follow this weekend (runs until Sunday 11th October) - I've made a list of the 4 acts you need to see at the Darling ...

A bit of Bossa nova, baby: an interview with Juliana Areias

Follow my blog with Bloglovin Nothing evokes cool quite the way Bossa nova does.  And I've checked, everywhere, that yes, that "n" in "nova" is lowercase. But I digress. So ... Bossa nova (lowercase "n") is cool, no? Sim, I always associate Bossa nova with people who are chill enough to travel to Rio on the regular, sipping Caipirinhas and generally just enjoying life.  And Brazilian music represents, to me anyway, a kind of freedom and joy that makes you happy to be alive.  That makes ...

The beauty and craftsmanship behind Japanese Noh masks

I always thought I had a pretty good understanding of Japanese culture.  The thing is, I took Japanese in my final two years of high school, which means that while I can't have a proper conversation with a Japanese person, I can write my first name in katakana (it's エリカ).  I also know that there's a pretty sweet tea ceremony thing that is part of Japanese culture - this information I gained from that scene in The Karate Kid sequel when Daniel has a cuppa with the Japanese chick from Mister ...